Thursday, August 04, 2005

Overinvolved Parents

Not that we're overinvolved, mind you, but I've heard quite a few stories from Rob about parents and Cal Day. So, I thought the Wall Street Journal's article about helicopter parents might be interesting for Beatty parents of college bound Beatty kids.

A new generation of overinvolved parents are flooding campus orientations, meddling in registration and interfering with students' dealings with professors, administrators and roommates, school officials say.
To bring it closer, I noticed this segment about Kate's new home:
Some colleges are training parents how to let go. Maryville College, Maryville, Tenn., stages skits with student actors, showing how parents can coach students to solve problems, rather than taking over.
Get out there and start hovering, Randy and Cyndi!

2 Comments:

At August 4, 2005 at 8:54 PM, Blogger Paige said...

I definitely saw this type of over-involvement at Penn! I see it at work too, but that's a bit more understandable, as those children aren't really talking yet...

I'm home from NYC and will try to post an entry soon...

 
At August 8, 2005 at 9:39 PM, Blogger cyn said...

Actually this is Randy. I couldn't resist. we were just at "parents orientation" and experienced the referenced skit first hand! It made zero impact on me and I didn't really think it was that funny. A little too scripted. But it is really tempting to get over involved. I just can't imagine neither child will be sleeping here after August 15... I know we will make more mistakes with Kate because afterall she is my "baby girl" but I just keep telling myself that if we give them a set of tools they will make good decisions. Of course, a little devil keeps whispering in my ear that only the Dad knows best. Oh well time flys so fast that this too will pass.

Dad is doing OK and really appreciated the visits from Dara and Rob. He has some great days and some not so great days so please feel welcome to visit at anytime. I had talked briefly with Rob about a Beatty reunion here in East TN since Dad will not travel but he felt that it would be very difficult to find a time when everyone could attend, particularly all the college kids (including grad school Paige) and he also felt it was more effective to visit in small groups and try to have visitors over a longer period. I don't disagree with anything he said, but would be willing to try to put something together in the next 18 months. It could wait until '07 since that will be his 80th birthday but I personnally would rather do it earlier but only if everyone wants to try to make it happen. If not that is OK too. Hope we can talk about this after labor day as our schedules relax a bit.

Dad's new chair arrived in Knoxville today and assuming we can finish the paperwork he will be in his "cadillac" next week. At some point the transferes are going to be really tough and a van with a ramp may be required. It can be rented so that may be the answer. I am looking into equipment to help with bathroom and bed transfers but the space is not really designed for it. He really likes his apartment and he has become a favorite of the rest of the residents and the staff. As you know he celebrates his second complete year in TN today. He continues to joke about outliving my dog Jake who is 17 in March but both are showing some signs of age. Sorry to run on at the keyboard, but for some reason I just felt like talking. All my love to all and I hope to see everyone as soon as possible. Love, randy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home