Friday, December 10, 2004

In case you care...

So I started a new project/theme with my one-year-olds this week. They're very interested in pointing at and naming one another, and I wanted to capitalize on that interest. I printed pictures of them in different sizes, laminated them (because when you're one, everything goes in your mouth) and started off by putting them in the sensory table to let them explore. After a couple days of that, I used contact paper to attach them to some small wooden blocks so that the kids could build and play with them. Next I think I will put magnets on the back of another set of pictures so that they can experiment with those on our furnaces (a built in magnetic surface in our room!) and have thought about putting them on popsicle sticks for puppets, but am not sure that they'll really get that. I am also thinking about adding photos of the teachers and other familiar objects--maybe parents, some of our capitol police officers, animals, cars and trucks, etc. This project is an example of the emergent (child-directed) curriculum that I am really trying to implement in my rooms, so I'm excited to see the development of it in Red Group (my one-year-old room).

Other than that, things are going ok. Work is the same but it looks like we are getting closer to getting a new director so that is a good thing. Also, we have a new staff person starting on Monday in the baby room, and one of the baby room staff is coming to my two-year-old room so I'll have a full staff again, which will be very nice.

Hope all is well with everyone!
Kisses!
Paige

1 Comments:

At December 11, 2004 at 4:28 PM, Blogger dara said...

Wow, Paige I am impressed. How inventive, do they tend to prefer some pictures over others no matter what object they're attached to? If a child is attached to you does he carry you in block form around?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home