PD's Birthday Update (from Randy and Cyndi)
Randy asked me to post this to the blog....Happy Birthday Grandpa, can't wait to see you!
PD's birthday update:
Cynthia had the pleasure of having dinner with PD (short for PaPaDick
which is what the Beatty clan calls Richard Beatty) on his birthday
tonight. The "inmates" sang Happy Birthday to him at lunch and gave him
a little cake.
Many of the folks that we saw tonight didn't remember that they had done
this earlier in the day--oh, well! two birthday parties in one day!!
So, we ate dinnner and then went to the Soda Fountain room and served up
slices of a huge decorated cake. PD wouldn't say so, but he was proud
to be honored. He "demanded" that people come in and have some cake or
take it back to their rooms. About 40 people stopped by, had cake,
wished him Happy Birthday--he even got kisses from two of the ladies!
He wanted to make sure that the rest of the cake was given to the
workers in the
kitchen--which we did. One lady stopped by to tell me that PD was the
nicest man she had ever met--other than her husband------and that she
misses her husband-and so it was nice to have "Richard" around-of
course, I got teary. Many agreed that PD doesn't look 80 and that he is
definitely one of the youngest at NHC. I put the three mylar birthday
balloons that I had taken to decorate the soda fountain outside his
door--cheesy, but I think he liked it. I forgot to take the camera and
nobody had one- that I could borrow. Bummer.
On a sad note, PD's friend, Rowina, that he always sat with for meals,
died yesterday. He said she wasn't real sick, then went into the
hospital, was released to the skilled care side, everything indicated
that she was getting better, then she went back into the hospital a few
days ago and died. He was sad. Pearl hasn't been there the past couple
of days either--her family from California is visiting, so she hasn't
been there. So....his normal routine for meals has been a bit
upset--he's sitting with some guys for right now.
Anyway, I wished him a Happy Birthday from all of us and told him that
the real celebration is yet to come!!

1 Comments:
That was really great of you to do for dad, Cyndi. Thanks.
Post a Comment
<< Home